Resources and information
ACFOMI Employment Services has a variety of tools to make your job search easier:
- Internet-ready computers, fax, photocopier, and printer
- Job board and reference books
- Information on community resources
- Various workshops
Resume with Impact
Your resume is your most important tool while looking for employment. In this workshop you will learn what important guidelines are needed to make your resume more engaging.
Summary of workshop:
- Creating your resume from start to finish
- Having a powerful summary of qualifications
- Important action phrases to capture an employer’s attention
- Clear and concise explanations of past work experiences
- Which style of resume best suits your current needs
It is well known that a very small percentage of job offers are published. The majority of available jobs are found through networking and by word of mouth. This is why knowledge of the local labour market will allow job seekers to establish their own contacts. Effective job search will allow them to better target employers who are likely to be interested in their qualifications and to hire them.
Summary of Workshop:
- Why job search?
- Job seeker’s checklist from A-Z
- Effective networking to create important connections
- Creating an effective elevator speech
The Purpose of a Cover Letter
As with your resume, the perception of a cover letter continues to evolve in the workplace and more and more employers require one when applying for positions. A resume that is not accompanied by a cover is less enticing in the eyes of an employer. A cover letter in sorts reflects your personality and informs potential employers of their ideal candidate. Writing a captivating cover letter is an art! Your cover letter could be the only chance you get to make a good first impression!
Summary of the workshop:
- What are the components of a good cover letter?
- What are the steps to writing a cover letter?
- Formatting: Microsoft Word vs. PDF?
Social Networking: LinkedIn
Social media is increasingly present in the job and recruitment markets. Employers and headhunters are using these new digital resources to search for new talent; many of them search online profiles to find out information about potential candidates before asking for an interview. They can obtain valuable and quality information on the candidates. Therefore, knowing how to effectively use social media becomes very beneficial, especially when looking for work.
Summary of One-on-One Workshop:
- Professional profiles vs Personal profiles
- Advantages of networking through social media
- Creating a profile
- Navigating the Job Board
A job interview can be very stressful. However, when properly prepared, it can go smootly and have a positive impact on the employer!
There are several aspects to consider when preparing for a job interview: skills, type of questions, possible traps to avoid, scenarios, references, etc.
Summary of workshop:
- Strategies to navigate through those difficult interview questions
- Identifying nervous habits
- Different types of job interviews
Thinking of changing careers? Unsure of what acquired skills would be beneficial? This interactive workshop is designed to help navigate job searching, taking into account personal skills and exploring options for a new career!
- Online questionnaire to help determine potential career paths
- Exploration of suggested careers: salary, hours, required education
- Available opportunities in each suggested field
DISCLAIMER: The form below is not currently functional. If you would like to sign up for one of the workshops or services, please contact us by email at email@example.com . Thank you for your cooperation.
Employment Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/employment-ontario
Eastern Workforce Innovation board: http://workforcedev.ca/index.php/en/
Employment Insurance Benefits: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei.html
Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB): https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.htm
Kingston Military Family Resource Centre (KMFRC): https://www.cafconnection.ca/Kingston/Adults/Employment.aspx
ACFOMI Job Board: https://www.acfomi.ca/en/employment-services/job-seekers/jobboard/
Jobs with the Government of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/jobs/opportunities/government.html
Canada Job Bank: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home
Jobs with the Government of Ontario: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Search.aspx
ACFOMI strives to welcome, develop, fulfill, and vitalize the French-speaking community in the Thousand Islands region through diversified programming and services.
We believe in integrity, collaboration, respect, and trust.
Baby changing table in the restroom
Hours of Operation:
Monday: 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Appointments outside of business hours are available upon request