Casual Caretaking (Custodial) Opportunities
Hourly Starting Rate: $23.92/Hr
Additional: 4% in lieu of vacation, 5% in lieu of benefits, 3.5% in lieu of paid holidays, and $0.92 shift premium after 2pm
See Yourself in Limestone!
The Limestone District School Board is currently accepting applications for Casual Caretakers from individuals who are committed to ensuring our working and learning environments are safe and healthy for staff and students and the broader school community. Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will provide support and assistance for initiatives and programs that impact directly on the health and well-being of all students and staff. Casual caretakers gain valuable knowledge, skills and experience that facilitate progression to the role of permanent caretaker.
The Limestone District School Board’s strategic vision centres on student and staff Wellness, Innovation and Collaboration. Situated in historic Kingston, on the shores of scenic Lake Ontario, the Limestone District School Board serves more than 19,000 students in 55 schools and 5 alternative education centres, covering a geographic area of 7,719 square kilometres across the City of Kingston, the Townships of Central Frontenac, North Frontenac, South Frontenac, Addington Highlands, Loyalist, Stone Mills, the Frontenac Islands and the Town of Greater Napanee.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Secondary school graduation diploma
- Minimum of six months cleaning experience considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
- Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, First Aid, Fire and Safety Standards and Procedures as well as security provisions
- Demonstrated working knowledge of basic cleaning methods and ability to safely operate cleaning equipment
- Demonstrated ability to safely use ladders and scaffolding both inside and outside of buildings
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic knowledge of word processing software, email, and the internet
- Willingness to learn new systems/processes and attend training/courses/professional development
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to new and changing conditions, including continuous improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality of information, practice tact and diplomacy
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- If offered a position you will be required to provide a current Vulnerable Sector Criminal Check prior to beginning employment.
As part of this hiring process, the board will be providing paid training to all successful applicants. There may be an opportunity for regular casual work depending on your availability. If you are looking to gain a permanent position with the Limestone District School Board this opportunity will help you become familiar with Board practices.
Successful candidates in this position are eligible to join our OMERS pension plan.
How to Apply
If you are energized by a career where you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact on the working and learning environments of staff and students, and you can see yourself in Limestone, please visit Apply to Education to complete your on-line application, which will ask you for the following:
- A cover letter and resume package detailing your knowledge, skills and experiences that will facilitate your success in this role and within Limestone
- Proof of qualifications (Copy of proof of education) must be uploaded on the supporting documents page.
Candidates will participate in a group interview process on October 16th – 20th 2023. Chosen candidates will be required to complete a written component prior to the interview. Shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit written consent to contact three professional referees, including current and prior supervisors.
Commitment to Diversity
Across Limestone District School Board, we are committed to removing systemic barriers not only in recruitment but in retention and promotion as well so that you can see yourself in Limestone. The Limestone District School Board is dedicated to promoting fair and equitable hiring practices that will move us forward in hiring staff who reflect the full diversity and lived experiences within the communities we serve.
We invite and welcome you, through your application, to self-identify as someone who has lived experiences as a member of one or more of these groups and who can bring valuable, diverse knowledge and perspective to our District and the students and communities we serve.
Thank you for your interest in teaching and learning in Limestone. Only those applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted and invited to participate in the interview process.
Accommodation will be provided to applicants, upon request, to enable equitable participation in the recruitment process.
The Limestone District School Board is situated on the traditional territories of the Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee.
We acknowledge their enduring presence on this land, as well as the presence of Metis, Inuit, and other First Nations across Turtle Island.
We honour their cultures and celebrate their commitment to this land.