Reporting to the Associate Vice Principal, Integrated Communications (AVP iComms), the Administrative & Financial Assistant to the Associate Vice-Principal (Integrated Communications) is responsible for providing a broad range of senior level administrative, organizational, financial and clerical support to the AVP iComms. The Assistant has responsibility for planning and maintaining the schedule of the AVP iComms. Other administrative duties include general communication, meeting coordination and support, travel planning, record keeping, maintaining contact databases and special events/projects.
Functioning with a high degree of autonomy, in a deadline-driven environment, the Assistant must function with an exceptional level of accuracy, good judgment, efficiency and high degree of tact and discretion. The Administrative & Financial Assistant to the Associate Vice-Principal (Integrated Communications) is a highly visible, multifaceted position with significant impact on the effectiveness and reputation of the University Relations portfolio. In addition, the Assistant serves as a liaison with a number of stakeholders within the University Community, as well as external stakeholders.
- Provide administrative support to the AVP iComms. Tasks include planning, organizing and maintaining the AVP iComms’s busy and complex schedule. This involves prioritizing, rearranging and deferring appointments and meetings to accommodate the AVP iComms’s numerous commitments.
- Respond to a high volume of enquiries on behalf of the AVP iComms internally and externally with limited direction.
- Manage the majority of the AVP iComms’s travel; planning trips and coordinating itineraries, ensuring that the AVP iComms is properly prepared and briefed for meetings, speeches and other engagements and for processing travel reimbursements.
- Ensure the timely flow of information related to the AVP iComms’s portfolio. Reviews reports and disseminates information to stakeholders and to the AVP iComms. Ensure an effective system to bring forward documents and correspondence for reply, agenda items for meetings, reports for comment or dissemination. Composes original correspondence on behalf of the AVP iComms on a wide spectrum of matters. This often involves sensitive and confidential correspondence.
- Coordinate all meeting requirements: finalize meeting dates, book facilities, food and beverage, prepare and distribute invitations, agendas and meeting materials, attend meeting, record and distribute meeting minutes, summarize next steps and responsibilities for action and send follow up messages.
- Administer, manage, and monitor iComms departmental accounts (non-discretionary and discretionary), generate and reconcile statements, process transactions through journals and/or purchase requisitions, and initiate financial changes. Reconcile the VISA procurement card for departmental purchasing.
- Compile and analyze financial data for iComms accounts, including preparation of spreadsheets, generating reports and statements. Interpret/report and make recommendations for action to the Associate Director, University Relations.
- Oversee the cost recovery and/or revenue generating transactions for iComms (e.g. journals for brand unit cost-recovery.
- Ensure departmental compliance with University operational policies and procedures (e.g., travel, finance, personnel) and bring anomalies to the attention of the Associate Director, University Relations with proposed solutions.
- Monitor iComms staff time away from work via attendance management system (e.g., vacation, sick, and appointments), bringing any concerns to the attention of the Associate Director, University Relations to investigate. Act as a back-up University Relations portfolio Timekeeper.
- Participate in the planning, development and implementation of administrative functions, and serve as the back-up for issues relating to administrative operations.
- Act as the back-up for University Relations reception to help cover sick days, vacation time, meetings, etc.
- Act as the first point of contact for day to day issues for the iComms team.
- Maintain personnel files for the iComms department staff, which contain sensitive and confidential material.
- In consultation with the University Relations Leadership team, participate in planning related to special projects and internal policies.
- Coordinate the project management services for institutional UR-led events
- Assist the Associate Director, University Relations with the coordination of departmental or physical services activities such as space planning, communications, office moves, etc.
- Undertake other duties as assigned in support of the department/unit.
- University Degree or three-year post-secondary degree in business administration, finance, accounting or other relevant field, combined with several years (5+ minimum) of progressive accounting/financial management and senior administrative experience in a similar environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard accounting practices, proven budget management skills and account administration skills.
- Proficient computer and office skills, including a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office. Experience creating and using spreadsheets and database applications, as well as an ability to adapt to emerging technology and systems.
- Extensive knowledge of University policies, procedures and organizational structure considered an asset.
- Experience with PeopleSoft systems is considered and asset.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Excellent organizational skills required in order to coordinate the activities of this position as well as the activities of the AVP iComms.
- Ability to perform accounting and financial management duties, including the ability to analyze and present financial data.
- Ability to work in a confidential, high-pressure environment, to set priorities and juggle many conflicting tasks, while maintaining an enthusiastic, positive attitude.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and maintain a professional detachment while being approachable.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills to deal with a wide variety of individuals in a professional manner and to provide clear and accurate information.
- Ability to proof read with emphasis on attention to detail.
- Ability to respond diplomatically and sensitively using good judgment in difficult situations, and to interact professionally with all levels internal and external to the University who interact with the department.
- Advanced administrative skills. Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software. Ability to adapt to the implementation of new technologies.
- Ability to acquire new knowledge and keep informed and up to date on changing policies and attitudes within the University and appropriate government agencies and regulatory bodies.
- Project management skills as required.
- Decide who should be granted access to the AVP iComms and the priority of access. Determine when to involve the AVP UR and when to act on one’s own initiative.
- Determine the nature and content of briefing notes, reports, and other information used to advise and prepare the AVP iComms. Determine nature and content of correspondence for the AVP UR’s signature.
- Determine the best approach in meeting non-negotiable deadlines including who should be called upon to provide timely supplemental support. Decide if the nature of new information requires further action or a change in direction or strategy. Verify accuracy of information and its distribution, and for sensitive or confidential information, who should receive it, and in what format.
- Decide on the most effective way to maintain vigilance on activities involving the AVP iComms or the department’s reputation that are organized by others.
- Determine the nature, content and method of presenting data gathered during information searches.
- Determine the most effective approach when making enquires on behalf of the AVP iComms that relate to stressful and sensitive (confidential) situations.
- Decide the most appropriate and efficient arrangements for travel for the AVP iComms, maximizing the use of the AVP iComms’s time and ensuring the best use of University funds.
- Prioritize work and time, setting up schedules to meet deadlines and carry out responsibilities.
- Develop meeting materials and documentation. Decide optimal method for distribution and maintain database of recipients.
- Monitor daily expenditures and determine best method for resolving financial problems within university guidelines, determining when complex problems should be brought to the attention of the Associate Director, University Relations or the AVP, iComms.