Department: Kingston Central Ambulance Communications Centre - Ambulance Dispatch
The Ambulance Communications Officer provides services in a manner consistent with KHSC Mission, Vision and Values and that reflect the core values of Patient and Family Centred Care (dignity, respect, information sharing, participation, and collaboration). The Ambulance Communications Officer receives 911, emergency, and non-emergency requests for ambulance services, determines the required level of response and provides seamless ambulance dispatching services using the resources provided by ambulance service operators and provides timely and accurate telecommunications services to callers, ambulance service providers and other emergency health services system stakeholders. Central Ambulance Communications Centers (CACC) are mission critical, technologically complex workplaces providing the initial access point to Ontario’s emergency health services systems for victims of illness or injury. The Communications Officer is required to function in a CACC that encompasses an extensive area of responsibility and frequently under heavy duress.
- Standard First Aid
- Heartsaver Level C CPR
- Successful completion of a post-secondary education program (i.e. university degree or minimum 2 year college diploma) preferred
- Bilingualism preferred
- Advanced oral and written English skills.
- Demonstrated typing speed at a minimum of 35 wpm (with 90% accuracy)
- Proven good attendance records
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Must pass a general aptitude test
- Demonstrated ability to follow written instructions
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Excellent decision making skills in a high stress environment
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.